There are many oceans around the world. There are in while some shallow. The following is a list of the top 10 ocean and the deepest ocean depths based on average them together, and some interesting facts about the deepest oceans and seas.
1. The Pacific Ocean:
Pacific Ocean leads the list of the deepest ocean on earth with an average depth of 3,939 meters. Some interesting facts about the deepest oceans, the Pacific Ocean including:
- Pacific Ocean is the largest division of the World Marine with 169.2 million square kilometers wide.
- Mariana Trench is the deepest point in the Pacific Ocean at a depth of 10,911 feet.
- Chains of mountains that plunge seabed known as the seamount chain. Pacific Ocean has many seamount chain formed by hotspot volcanism, the famous "Ring of Fire" in the Pacific Ocean.
2. Indian Ocean:
Indian Ocean is the second deepest ocean when the average depth is taken as a basis. The average depth is 3,840 meters the Indian Ocean. Interesting Facts about Indian Ocean:
- Volume is the Indian Ocean 292 131 000 cubic kilometers.
- Warmest sea in the world is the Indian Ocean.
- Indian Ocean is a young sea among the world's major oceans.
3. Atlantic Ocean:
Atlantic Ocean took third place among the deepest ocean with an average depth of 3,575 meters. Some interesting facts about the Atlantic Ocean are:
- Atlantic Ocean is the second largest marine division with an area of 106.4 million square kilometers.
- The greatest depth of the Atlantic Ocean is in the "Puerto Rico Trench" with a depth of 8,605 meters.
- Atlantic Ocean is the youngest ocean next to the Indian Ocean among the world's major oceans.
- The image above shows hurricane Issabel or "Issabel Hurrican" very powerful.
4. The Caribbean Sea:
Caribbean Sea take place next with an average depth of 2,575 meters. Caribbean Sea is a sea of the Atlantic Ocean. Some interesting facts about the Caribbean Sea are:
- Caribbean Sea is one of the largest sea with a salinity that is an area of 2.754 million square kilometers.
- Cayman Way is the deepest point of the ocean with a depth of 7,686 meters.
- There are two oceanic trenches Caribbean Sea known as "Hispaniola Trench" and "The Puerto Rico Trench."
5. Sea of Japan:
The sea took fifth place in the list of the deepest ocean and sea with an average depth of 1,666 meters.
- Sea of Japan does not have ups and downs and these characteristics are very similar to the Mediterranean Sea.
- Japan Sea associated with other sea by a shallow strait 5. They are the Strait of Tartary, La Perouse Strait, Tsugaru Strait, Kanmon Strait, and the Strait of Korea.
- Sea of Japan has three major bases, namely basin Yamato, Japan basin and basin Tsushima.
Additional information on the Sea of Japan: There is no naming dispute. Japan claimed that the name "Sea of Japan" is generally adapted to the 19th century, while Korea claimed that the name change is only in the 20th century; North Korea wants to "Sea of Japan" to be named as the "East Sea of Korea" as South Korea proposed the "East Sea".
6. Gulf of Mexico:
- Gulf of Mexico has an average depth of 1,614 meters.
- Gulf of Mexico is the ninth largest body of water in the world.
- It is the deepest point in the "Sigsbee Deep" 4384 meters.
- Seven key areas the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf of Mexico Basin, northeast Gulf of Mexico, South Florida Continental Shelf and Slope, Campeche Bank, Gulf of Campeche, Gulf of Mexico and the western Northwest Gulf of Mexico.
7. Mediterranean Sea
Mediterranean Sea is the deepest ocean next on the list of top 10 deepest ocean and sea with an average depth of 1,501 meters.
- It Is the deepest point in the "Calypso Deep" 5,627 meters.
- Mediterranean Sea got its name from the Latin word "Mediterraneus." It means "in the middle of the earth" or "between lands." In the Mediterranean Sea between the two continents, Africa and Europe and this clearly explains how the sea got its name.
- You can easily recognize the Mediterranean Sea from a deep blue color.
8. Bering Sea:
The next place to go to the Bering Sea has an average depth of 1,491 meters.
- Bering Sea got its name after the Danish explorer Vitus Bering to explore the sea in the year 1728.
- There is a 16 submarine canyons in the Bering Sea and "Zhemchug Canyon" is the biggest submarine.
- Some of the interesting wildlife species of the Bering Sea include walrus, Steller sea lions, orca, and polar bears. Extinct species in the Bering Sea Bowhead whales namely, Blue Whales, Sperm whales, humpback whales, North Pacific right whales and Sei Whale.
9. South China Sea:
South China Sea take place next with an average depth of 1,463 meters.
- South China Sea is part of the Pacific Ocean covering an area of 3,500,000 square kilometers.
- South China Sea, nearly 200 islands and coral have been identified. This is called the Spratly Islands. Spratly Islands are those which cover an area between 810 and 900 km. The largest Spratly Islands Taiping Island is believed to be covering a distance of 1.3 km.
- Tablemount Reed or Reed Bank, an underwater mountain in the South China Sea is a submerged atoll structure in the world.
10. The Black Sea
Black Sea claimed tenth position among the top 10 deepest oceans and sea with an average depth of 1,190 meters.
- The Black Sea covers an area of 436 400 square kilometers (the Sea of Azov excluded.)
- The Black Sea is the world's largest meromictic basin. Meromictic basin is one of the deep water and the water layer above are not mixed
- Believed that the Black Sea was a freshwater lake landlocked during the ice age most archaeologists were able to find a freshwater snail shells and a variety of man-made structures at approximately 100 m of water.